Fix Your Slow Android Smartphone

htc evo android - smallFix Your Slow Android Smartphone

“I just used PerfectDisk to defrag my HTC EVO Android phone. I connected to the PC in my office and the phone’s SD card shows in the PC’s directory. PerfectDisk said the card was 10% fragged and at 60% performance. After about an hour it works great. The pictures load much faster, thumbnails are more than twice as fast, and my videos are loading much faster. What a great idea!! Please pass it on…”

-Pete M.
Agoura Hills, CA

How To Speed Up Your Slow Android Smartphone

1. Download PerfectDisk for Home or Business
  2. Connect your Android device to your PC with a USB cable
  3. Open PerfectDisk
  4. Go to the Defragmentation Tab
  5. Select the new Android drive, which will be set to Consolidate Free Space
  6. Click Start to optimize your Android device
  7. Now use your phone – do you notice a difference?

Comments

1. Does that harm the SD card?

2. Andy Ostrom says:

My Android device shows up as “Galaxy Nexus” in “Portable Devices” (Win 7 x64) but doesn’t show up in PerfectDisk Pro (v12.5, fully licensed). How do I make this work?

• Straight from Tech Support:

1. Make sure that PD is configured to defrag USB/Removable drives.
      2. Make sure that Windows sees the drive and has assigned a drive letter to the drive. No drive letter, PD won’t be able to see/defragment.

• Andy Ostrom says:

It turns out this is impossible on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.x. USB Mass storage mode is not supported on this phone, and will not be except for extra partitions you might create on a rooted phone.

• Hi Andy, Thanks for the feedback! I’ve asked our tech support manager if there is any further help he can provide on this. I will post his reply.

• OK, just got a response! A last resort but it may help (unless there is no way to connect via USB): he says your Android device’s user manual would tell you how to configure the device so that Windows assigns a drive letter to it when connected via USB.

• Andy Ostrom says:

OK – I wasn’t guessing when I said this was IMPOSSIBLE on Android 4.0, at least as implemented on the Galaxy Nexus. I did not want to go into the details, but I guess I should. Android 4.0 uses MTP (and PTP) mode for file transfer over the USB connection. According to the Google engineering team:

“We didn’t do this because we wanted to use ext3 (although that is a side benefit.) We did it because we wanted to be able to merge the “public shared storage” (i.e. for music and photos) with the internal private app storage. We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better.”

USB Mass Storage (whether it’s an SD card or an internal block like the Nexus S has) means that you’ve granted exclusive access to the entire partition to another machine. This means the original host (that’d be your phone or tablet) doesn’t have access to it, and the new host (the computer you’ve plugged your phone or tablet into) is allowed to do bad things that might mess it all up. Obviously, the phone can’t give up access to the entire filesystem, so there’s no USB mass storage capability in phones with a single, integrated filesystem.

Since the phone won’t support USB MAss Storage mode, only MTP, the Android device makers no longer have to use FAT file systems on device storage, and can use ext formatting. Devices will still be sold with SDcard slots, but the Galaxy Nexus does not have an SD Card slot, and Google is trying to get vendors to stop supplying them. If they do, they will be able to use the same USB Mass Storage mode that we’re used to, and thus could be defragged as described here. But NOT the Galaxy Nexus.

Note: some of this content was paraphrased from Jerry Hildenbrand’s posting at: http://www.androidcentral.com/ics-feature-mtp-what-it-why-use-it-and-how-set-it.

• I didn’t doubt your last response – thank you for the additional info!

• Andy Ostrom says:

My apologies if my tone came off sounding annoyed. I was just trying to save others from having to do the research I did already.

• We appreciate it – No problem!

• chrissantotan@yahoo.com says:

THE SAME!!!

3. I tried it, the analysis show lots of fragmented files sprinkled all over. (I have a motorola Atrix 2).

No matter what defrag method, it does not “clean up” the bits of files sprinkled all over.

I think this is bogus. (I have been a registered user of PerfectDisk since version 7)…

Greg

• We have personally seen results. People, in-house and outside of our company, tried it and saw a huge impact….immediate responsiveness. Those “scattered files” you mentioned could be directories – which cannot be moved by defragmenters. If you can provide provide pre- and post-defrag stats on this thread our support team would be happy to analyze it for you.

• Hi Greg,

We want to make sure this works for you. I’m having Greg from our technical support team follow up via email to get to the bottom of this.

Lauren

4. Is there a risk of wearing out Android SD card by using PD? (as wear levelling algorithms used by SD cards are usually far from perfect)

• No, the Android SD card operates like a traditional HDD. You can use Consolidate Free Space, which is the default setting for this drive. Consolidate Free Space also happens to be the method PerfectDisk uses in the SSD Optimize feature for SSDs – it enhances SSD performance without wearing out its lifespan.

• Wow. False claims one after another. You may want to research what an SSD is before you make a product.
        Good Scam

• Jim, no false claims here. Raxco does not recommend defragging SSDs, as this would create additional wear on the drive. Due to this, we created the SSD Optimize feature, which consolidates free space on the SSD, improving SSD performance while avoiding the negative effects defragmenting the drive would do.

5. chris mampaey says:

Hello, Is the only pass you can make on a smartphone a consollidate free space-pass? Or can you also use spartplacement/ defrag only without harming the device? It is the first time I try this and am just wandering ’bout it cause that’s not mentioned anywhere and after a consolidate free space pass on my device, I still see a lot of scattered files and open space between blocks, which, in comparision with a computerdrive ar mostly ‘fixed’ by spartplacement.
    Kind regards

6. I’m a little confused as to how this helps anything. I also don’t know why you keep saying in the comments that an SD card works the same as a traditional hard drive. In the sense of defragging and getting better performance from a disk, an SD card doesn’t act like a traditional hard drive at all.

An SD card uses flash memory while my thought of a traditional hard drive has a physical arm that reads the platters. You can’t really speed up how fast flash memory is read. How does this program make your phone faster?

• If the Droid device is fragmented enough, performance still suffers as it takes repeated requests to access data (i.e. pictures, videos, etc…) on the drive.

• Hmm, any post or article I am able to find says that there is absolutely nothing to gain from defragging flash memory or there is an improvement that isn’t noticable at all.

Basically by doing a defrag on an SD card, all you are doing is adding to the write limit of your drive, effectively shortening it’s life.

Do you have any benchmarks or videos of your program at work on a phone? A before and after that makes a difference?

• We don’t defrag the SSD. SSD Optimize consolidates free space instead of defragmenting the SSD.

Raxco’s Manager of Technical Services, Greg Hayes, tested PerfectDisk on his Android smartphone:

“I don’t have many videos on my phone and only a small amount of pictures (considering how many I can store)…approximately 500. Before I originally defragmented it, my Android had 882 fragmented files with a total of 17,000 excess fragments and I had noticed my phone being “slow” – flipping through screens, browsing pictures in the gallery, launching applications etc…after defragmenting with PerfectDisk, my phone immediately was more responsive – flipping through screens, launching applications, browsing pictures, etc…I saw a very noticeable improvement in the responsiveness of my phone.”

Greg’s Android statistics:

• 89.6% reduction in fragmented files (Before: 882 / After: 92)
          • 99.2% reduction in excess fragments (Before 17,000 / After: 137)
  7. Well, I posted earlier my disappointment with using this on my Motorola Atiix2. I also was skeptical about performance, but consolidating free space makes some sense (defragmenting does not on a SSD).

My disappointment was that PerfectDisk left small blue blocks scattered all over the drive. I got a response that the theory was that they were directories. Well, they weren’t identified as directories on the screen.

I also got an email to ask me to run the stats before and after… well I just did and running PerfectDisk made the disk WORSE according to the reports from PerfectDisk itself, more fragmentation and less free space “chunks”.

I’ll be happy to email the before and after pdf’s to anyone who wants them. My email is greg@elmassian.com.

Sorry Raxco guys, have been a loyal customer for a long time, in fact I buy the server package each year, so I love the product, but you need to do your homework better before announcing things like this.
    By the way, I have a SSD in my new $3,000 sony laptop, and PD does NOT leave little fragments of files around. It’s really a waste of time on a SSD.

Regards, Greg

• Hi Greg,

The PerfectDisk product was created for HDDs and VMs but SSD Optimize is the only optimization method (consolidating free space) that should be used on an SSD.

I’m interested to see your results. I will have the tech support manager contact you about those stats.

Thanks for the feedback!

Lauren

8. Mark Rapp says:

When I need to manage my microSDHC card, I plug it into a card reader (it is more reliable than connecting via USB).

I have the card mapped to “C:CardlettersmSD”, instead of wasting a drive letter.

How might I proceed?

9. This is bogus, sd card are unlike traditional hard drives where files are split and the disk head has to spin to access the many parts of the drive to obtain the full file and transfer it into the cache to be ready for use. In a flash chip, the data passes as electrons and does not use a head to read the data. Defraging a memory chip can potentially reduce the life of a memory chip and will only assist in the copying of very large files that would have to be split up. In addition, android is very specific about its system files. Mess one of the important ones up and you might face a crisis bigger than the slow loading of a chip.

• Android system files are NOT seen by PerfectDisk so PerfectDisk doesn’t touch them.

People take lots of pictures and videos using their phones. So, yes, large files like these can see a performance improvement. Some customers may not see a performance improvement, some customers will. We agree that it isn’t something that typically needs to be done on a frequent basis – only when their phone appears to get sluggish.

10. I’ve an Iconia Tab A500 with ICS update and it use MTP, so I can’t optimize with PD, Any news to solution this problem?

• raxcolauren says:

Currently, PerfectDisk can only recognize Android devices connected to your PC via USB that appear in the Drives listed in the PD interface. If it doesn’t show up there, PD can’t defrag it. Not all Android devices can be defragmented. We are looking at the mobile market but I don’t have any news on that at this time..

11. Hey! i see that many people criticize without having any basic knowledge. Here on Windows 8 x64(installed it somehow) everything works fine. A little fast,not much. probably because the full fragmentation will take time,mine didn’t. Thanks a lot!

12. Do not try this it is completely stupid it is going to kill your SD card.
    It might increase performance but it will kill it.
    The best way to defragment is to backup your files on your computer, format your sd and place the files back in SD. do this only if your SD is super higly fragmented almost 60-80%

13. Brian Nielsen says:

Sorry but no moving parts = no need to defrag. You will not see an increase in performance at all.

14. A company making a product for a dying technology desperately trying to hold on.

As others have stated, fragmentation means nothing on a flash drive. The fact that Raxco keeps saying SSDs and HDDs operate the same way makes me seriously question their technical knowledge. A better analogy would be to compare this to defragging RAM. Which noone does. Because it’s useless.

• Lauren Lembo says:

Jon, we don’t recommend defragging a flash drive. Consolidating free space is the only way to optimize an SSD. PerfectDisk was not designed to work with Android but it has worked for some people inside and outside of the company so we decided to share this useful tip with the public.