HP 3PAR Thin Persistence Software, on the surface, results in thin volumes on the HP 3PAR Storage System staying thin by reclaiming unused space associated with deleted data. As HP notes:
“…writing and deleting large amounts of data can leave unused space within thin volumes. Even lots of small writes and deletions can eventually reduce the efficiency of thin volumes. This logical deletion of data without actually freeing up unused space creates a hidden utilization penalty that can really add up over time. HP 3PAR Thin Persistence Software reclaims this unused space…”
As a partner of HP’s for many years, we are big believers in HP 3PAR and think it is probably the best thin provisioning solution available. But there is a missing piece that PerfectStorage helps fill, while maximizing the benefits of HP 3PAR solutions in thin-provisioned environments.
At the storage controller level, it is the controller that actually reclaims space. However, it cannot and does not do it in a vacuum — something has to signal the controller that there is space that can be reclaimed. Which is why even 3PAR needs help from SDelete…or something better. PerfectStorage will perform the “zeroing” in an automated manner, as opposed to SDelete’s manual methods. And PerfectStorage can also issue SCSI UNMAP commands in addition to zero fill.
PerfectStorage not only provides a smarter and more resource-friendly way to zero-fill free clusters than SDelete, but ALSO the ability to issue UNMAP commands in pre-Windows Server 2012 versions of Windows. PerfectStorage also provides an estimate of recoverable space prior to running, something SDelete does not do.
Even HP 3PAR, with its excellent intelligence and capability to issue Zero Fill and SCSI UNMAP commands to reclaim space, can’t do it all in pre-2012 environments. That is why HP 3PAR customers and even HP have come to us for help.
Learn More about PerfectStorage.
- PerfectStorage is Here — Intelligent Thin-Provisioned Space Reclamation
- HP 3PAR Storage Management — Improve ROI with Storage Management
- 80% of Storage Managers Say PerfectStorage is a Huge Time Saver
- Use SDelete command line to zero free space? Just say no
- This provisioned space reclamation — fixing the free space dilemma
- Coming Soon — PerfectStorage: Automated Thin-Provisioned Space Reclamation
- Reclaim thin provisioned space — intelligently
- SDelete Zero Free Space — A Smarter Way
- Thin Provisioning Space Reclamation — Avoiding SDelete
- Automatically Reclaim Unused Free Space on HP 3PAR SAN
- Thin-provisioned virtual disks — SDelete alternative to reclaiming space
- SDelete alternative for P2V (Physical-to-Virtual)
- How to Zero-Fill Free Space Efficiently
- Can You Benefit from PerfectDisk’s Zero-Fill Free Space?
- The Problem with Thin-Provisioned Disks
- PerfectDisk’s Zero-fill free space on thin-provisioned disks
- An SDelete alternative for recovering disk space from thin-provisioned disks