As the Windows Server 2003 end of support date looms (July 14, 2015), IT professionals face a choice similar to the one they faced last year for Windows XP: upgrade or die. If they don’t upgrade their OS, they won’t receive any more security patches but with the way things have been going on Patch Tuesday lately, who knows if that’s a bad or a good thing.
While it’s generally good to keep up-to-date with the latest technology (and security that comes along with it), it may not be in every organization’s budget to upgrade all systems at once, so we have a contingency plan to keep Windows Server 2003 alive and well while you wait to upgrade all your systems or choose to stay with the status quo. No judgments here.
InstantRecovery is absolutely essential if you’ll be keeping any unsupported operating system in place because you won’t be receiving security updates and your system will be more vulnerable to attack (but we do recommend using it on updated systems as well, since Patch Tuesday has been problematic lately).
InstantRecovery protects your system, data and installed applications from software corruption-related system failure:
- InstantRecovery Server allows up to 10 different snapshots and also provides a Freeze feature which can restore systems to the same point in time every time.
- Data Anchoring provides access to data in the files and folders you select and these files are restored in their most recent state — not their state at the time the snapshot was taken.
- In the event of a software-related system failure, failed update, or virus attack that renders systems unbootable, simply use InstantRecovery to boot into one of your snapshots and your system will be returned to you instantly with all selected data and applications.
With InstantRecovery Server, rebuilding your system won’t be necessary after a software corruption incident; your system can be back up and running in a pristine and trusted state in under 30 seconds.
Get the most performance and productivity out of your existing hardware by keeping your files and free space contiguous with PerfectDisk.
Whether you’re running Windows Server 2003 on physical servers or in conjunction with your virtualized system, PerfectDisk ensures that daily operations are completed at peak performance levels with the following benefits:
- Less wear on your HDD or SSD extends the life of your drive (this is especially helpful in the case of SSDs with PerfectDisk’s SSD Optimize feature, which specifically and safely optimizes SSDs to reduce write amplification).
- PerfectDisk’s OptiWrite and SMARTPlacement technology prevent fragmentation and reduce the rate of refragmentation, speeding up disk access, productivity and resource-intensive operations.
- Backup times (for physical and virtualized systems) are significantly diminished due to PerfectDisk’s intelligent disk optimization.
- Virtualization Awareness eliminates I/O bottlenecks and improves performance across your entire virtualized system: host, guests and storage system.
If you’re using thin provisioning on physical drives, virtual drives or both, PerfectStorage intelligently automates the zeroing and/or unmapping of free space (depending on the technology in place) so that thin-provisioned drives are kept thin, delaying expensive, unnecessary storage purchases and offering storage admins significant time-savings.
Providing a pre-analysis of reclaimable space exactly where it resides on all of your drives - physical and virtual - PerfectStorage takes the guesswork out of storage monitoring and management, easily identifying and reporting where and how much space can be reclaimed.
PerfectStorage only reclaims clusters that are not already reclaimed, which minimizes storage activity and resource usage:
- If your storage solution supports Zero Detect/Zero Fill, Smart Zero Fill only zero-fills clusters that haven’t already been zeroed.
- If your storage supports SCSI UNMAP to reclaim space, PerfectStorage will only unmap those clusters that haven’t already been unmapped.
Once the reclaim operation is complete, PerfectStorage reports the amount of space reclaimed, with a post-analysis of recovered space. SteathPatrol automation allows PerfectStorage to run during production hours with no impact on system performance. You can also schedule PerfectStorage to run accoding to your needs.