First came PerfectStorage automated space reclamation for thin-provisioned servers and virtual machines and today we are excited to announce PerfectStorage now provides automated space reclamation at the datastore level with the new PerfectStorage ESXi Host Reclaim!
New PerfectStorage ESXi Host Reclaim
While the original PerfectStorage automates the zero-fill/SCSI UNMAP process on thin-provisioned drives without taking servers offline, depending on your storage solution, this may be all you need to do in order to show the space as reclaimed to your storage controller. However, some storage solutions may require an additional step to complete the communication of the reclaim operation to the storage controller.
Our new PerfectStorage ESXi Host Reclaim works in conjunction with PerfectStorage to ensure that your valuable disk space can be automatically reclaimed in VMware thin-provisioned environments at the datastore level.
PerfectStorage ESXi Host Reclaim reclaims thin-provisioned LUN space by sending SCSI UNMAP reclaim commands to a VMware ESXi-hosted datastore. The reclaim operation signals the underlying storage controller for the datastore that free space no longer used in the datastore can be reclaimed at the LUN, automating the remaining part of the reclaim process started in the virtual guest.
How PerfectStorage ESXi Host Reclaim Works with the PerfectStorage Client
PerfectStorage ESXi Host Reclaim works in conjunction with PerfectStorage to ensure that your valuable disk space can be reclaimed in VMware thin-provisioned environments.
PerfectStorage is installed on physical Windows Servers or virtualized Windows Servers and it is used to shrink thin-provisioned guest drives or data drives that are mapped to a thin-provisioned LUN on a storage controller. PerfectStorage can also be centrally managed by the free PerfectStorage Enterprise Console, included optionally with all PerfectStorage installations.
PerfectStorage ESXi Host Reclaim provides an easy way to perform the reclaim operation; either manually or on an automated scheduled basis (daily, weekly, monthly or one-time). PerfectStorage ESXi Host Reclaim is optimized for HP 3PAR and XtremIO storage controllers so that datastore reclaims are performed according to HP and XtremIO best practices.
- Reclaim Storage Space Without Taking Servers Offline
- 4 Key Tools for Keeping Windows Server 2003 Viable
- Too Busy? 4 IT Tools for Taking Back Your Work Day
- How a Big 4 Auditing Firm’s IT Dept. Reclaimed 25TB SAN Space
- 5 Major Advantages: PerfectStorage vs. Command Line Space Reclamation
- Automatically Reclaim Space in an ESX-Hosted Windows Server 2008 Guest
- EMC’s Principal SE: Best Option for Reclaiming Space is PerfectStorage
- 3.1TB Thin-on-Thin Space Reclaimed with Zero Downtime and Zero Impact
- Fujitsu Recommends PerfectStorage for ETERNUS DX S2 Space Reclamation
- True Story: Automated Space Reclamation in a Production Environment
- How To Avoid Wasting Storage — Even with Windows Server 2008 and 2003
- The Ugly Truth About Thin Provisioning and The NTFS Silent Treatment
- Maximizing Dell EqualLogic Thin Provisioning ROI with PerfectStorage: A “No Brainer”
- How To Save A Quarter Million IT Dollars (or More) in Less Than a Year
- VMware Architect on PerfectStorage to Reclaim Dead Space within Guest OS
- How HP 3PAR Thin Persistence Benefits from PerfectStorage Space Reclamation
- 80% of Storage Managers Say PerfectStorage is a Huge Time-Saver
- Use SDelete command line to zero free space? Just say no